It is a common knowledge that there are two types of transmission: automatic and manual. While both have a clutch to shift the gear, the manual cars don’t have the shift lock release like their automatic counterparts.
What you should know about the Shift Lock Release
On automatic cars, there is no need to manually shift the gears. The gear shift on this type of cars is used for switching among driving modes including neutral, parking, reverse, etc. And to shift between those modes, you need the shift lock release options.
To shift between driving modes, you need the shift lock release options
This shift is actually a button found on the lever. It allows the driver to pick an option, parking for example, then he/she can lock it until picking another one. That means if the driver doesn’t release the shift lock, he/she is not able to move the lever.
How should you handle the Shift Lock Release
When the driver presses the shift lock button, the lock will be released, so he/she is free to switch between options. When he/she has already chosen one, he/she should press the button again so that the lever is locked on the setting.
This is also considered to be a safety function which is there to help move the vehicle in case the gear shift doesn’t work
This is also considered to be a safety function which is there to help move the vehicle in case that gear shift doesn’t work. Bear in mind these 9 steps to use the shift lock release in case the gear shift isn’t working:
- Step #1: Put on the parking brake.
- Step #2: Take the key out of the ignition.
- Step #3: Lift the shift lock’s cap off (with a screwdriver – recommended). It’s located at the upper right of the gear shift.
- Step #4: Once the cover is off, put the key into the hole.
- Step #5: Gently apply a force down with the key. At the same time, pull on the button in front of the gear shift. By doing this, you deactivate the parking.
- Step #6: Take the key out.
- Step #7: Lid on the cover like before.
- Step #8: Put back the key into the ignition, then apply the brake pedal.
- Step #9: Start the engine.
Video: Shift Lock Release | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN